DID YOU KNOW?
- Harris country, alone has an estimated 753,640 people who are food insecure, with the real tragedy being the 305,480 children who also face the day not knowing if they will get enough to eat or now.
- Texas has the 2nd highest rate of food insecurity in the USA (currently 18.5 % of the population)
- Over 1.7 million households in Texas are food insecure and climbing
(These statistics only cover households and not the homeless community growing in Houston, Texas every hour)
The Dream Center Gulf Coast believes that we can turn this situation around in Houston!
DCGC Envisions developing a “HOPE WITH A HOT MEAL” in Houston by:
- Food trucks
- Food bank
- Transport trucks to bring food to impoverished communities
DCGC Food trucks would be operating 24/7, every day of the year, providing nutritional meals in needy communities and around Houston. We can be serving breakfast at local schools, lunch at our “ADOPT-A-BLOCK” areas, dinner at known homeless areas, and then working overnight with veterans and those who are victims of human trafficking. The food trucks are all about ensuring that no person goes without, so we can take what we offer in a building to the places of need, and those who cannot get to the DCGC main building, or those who are too intimidated to reach out for help.
DCGC Food Trucks have multi-use:
- Provision of nutritional meals
- Provision of “food & hygiene bags”, including emergency packs
- Contact point for the “ADOPT-A-BLOCK” program, local community and those in need
For this program to work effectively, we will need to have two food trucks operating from the start of the program, to meet just the basic needs of the city of Houston. The DCGC Food Bank will become a “go to” place, where those in need can seek a hot meal, someone to chat with, somewhere safe to sit for a while, and somewhere that is custom fit to assess each individual’s every day need through our network of resources.
The focus of the DCGC Food Bank is:
- A single Houston “drop off” location for donations
- A loading site for food to be placed onto the DCGC food transport trucks to be taken to impoverished communities in need
- A “collection” point for those in need for groceries and other necessities
- Hot meal sit down cafeteria
“For I was hungry and you gave Me food, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you brought Me together with yourselves and welcomed and entertained and lodged Me” – Matthew 25:35 AMP